Additive manufacturing continues to develop–and thrive as an business acknowledged for groundbreaking know-how and revolutionary merchandise. Anticipated to develop at a compound annual progress charge of 20.8% from 2022 to 2030, shipments of 3D printed merchandise are projected to achieve 21.5 million items by the top of that point interval.
Whereas prototyping has led the market, accounting for over half of 3D printing international income in 2021, analysis reveals that the “practical elements phase is anticipated to increase at a big CAGR of 21.4% from 2022 to 2030.” Additive manufacturing with steel supplies is anticipated to proceed trending, and projected to increase extra extensively than every other phase.
Whether or not you might be creating signature items or designing high-performance elements, the important thing to success is aligning the right additive manufacturing supplies along with your design and software. Shapeways makes this simple with 3D printability evaluation, accessible as quickly as you add a 3D mannequin. Making ready forward of time and changing into educated on supplies and know-how, nevertheless, could make the design and manufacturing course of simpler.
Following is details about well-liked additive manufacturing supplies from Shapeways, together with details about corresponding know-how, accessible colours, and finishes.
Steel Additive Manufacturing Supplies
Steel 3D printing continues to be one of many hottest tendencies, permitting for terribly sturdy elements which can be additionally light-weight. Steel supplies are in excessive demand for additive manufacturing functions like automotive, aerospace, and drone know-how. At Shapeways, the jewellery sector continues to flourish through Wax Casting with valuable metals too, accompanied by 3D printed molds.
A big share of steel powders could be recycled, lending sustainability to additive manufacturing for steel in addition to the business total. For supplies like Stainless Metal 316L, 3D printed with Binder Jetting, steel elements make up solely seven to 10 % of most builds, permitting for all of the remaining steel 3D printing powder to be sifted and reintroduced with virgin powder.
Shapeways presents a wide range of steel additive manufacturing supplies, to incorporate:
- Aluminum – Advisable for additive manufacturing functions that require power, a light-weight nature, and excessive precision, Shapeways 3D prints Aluminum elements with Selective Laser Melting. SLM 3D printing is thought for the flexibility to create extremely custom-made, refined elements with intricate particulars. Shapeways clients depend on Aluminum for stiffness, accuracy, and excessive thermal conductivity for making practical elements and instruments.
- Gold, Platinum, Silver and different valuable metals – Shapeways presents a wide range of merchandise in valuable metals through Misplaced Wax Casting. Molds are 3D printed for steel casting with top quality supplies for functions like jewellery. Supplies like Copper are highlighted for different merchandise like marine equipment, mechanical gadgets like warmth exchanges, residence decor, and prototypes.
- Stainless Metal 316L – A single steel alloy, Stainless Metal 316L consists of 100% Stainless Metal. Advisable for industrial merchandise like mechanical equipment or surgical tooling, this steel additive manufacturing materials is proof against corrosion in addition to excessive temperatures. Stainless Metal 316L is 3D printed with Binder Jetting know-how, identified for pace, and accuracy and repeatability in steel elements.
- Stainless Metal 17-4 PH – Additionally 3D printed with Binder Jetting, Stainless Metal 17-4 PH yields extremely sturdy elements with glorious decision and robust materials properties. This steel additive manufacturing materials is advisable for mechanical functions, medical functions requiring gadgets like surgical tooling, exchangers, fasteners, and extra.
- Metal – This steel materials consists of 40% bronze and 60% metal, with shade ranges from silver grey to reddish bronze. Metal is a powerful materials, advisable for small and huge client merchandise. This materials can also be 3D printed with Binder Jetting know-how.
Nylon Thermoplastics for Additive Manufacturing
Whereas 3D printing permits designers and engineers to discover numerous new avenues for creating and customizing elements, additive manufacturing supplies like thermoplastics present the required power, flexibility, and flexibility. Nylon 12 [Versatile Plastic] serves as an exemplary materials for a variety of elements. This materials presents excessive ductility, permitting for nice flexibility for thinner buildings, and crucial rigidity for thicker elements.
Colours: Versatile Plastic is of course white. Shapeways additionally presents Black, Pink, Purple, Orange, Yellow, Inexperienced, Blue, and Purple.
Nylon 12 [Versatile Plastic] is 3D printed through Selective Laser Sintering (SLS), often called probably the most highly effective additive manufacturing applied sciences. The typical construct measurement of an SLS 3D printer is round 300 x 300 x 300 mm, permitting for large-scale elements. SLS 3D printing presents expanded design freedom too as assist buildings will not be required. Typical functions for this materials and know-how embrace:
- Aerospace and drones
- Mechanical and interlocking elements
- Medical fashions
Different well-liked 3D printing thermoplastics:
- MJF Plastic PA12 – 3D printed with Multi Jet Fusion know-how, MJF PA12 is a heat-resistant thermoplastic used for elements requiring excessive dimensional accuracy and finely tuned mechanical properties. This additive manufacturing materials is offered in grey and black, with a selection of pure or easy finishes.
- Nylon 11 [PA11(SLS)] – 3D printed through SLS, this materials is exclusive as a result of it’s derived from castor oil. Nylon 11 is eco-friendly and simply recycled. This materials is well-liked for 3D printing attributable to good impact- and chemical-resistance, excessive elasticity, and excessive elongation at break. Nylon 11 [PA11(SLS)] is offered in normal white.
- Polypropylene (PP) – 3D printed with each SLS and MJF 3D printing, Polypropylene presents nice tensile power, biocompatibility, and resistance to each moisture and chemical compounds. This materials is offered in an off-white end with SLS 3D printing, and a pure grey end with MJF know-how.
- Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) – Also called Addigy® P3001, this materials can also be extraordinarily versatile, presenting glorious mechanical properties like good ductility and excessive elongation at break. Common with producers attributable to flexibility for interlocking and industrial elements, Addigy P3001 is 3D printed with SLS 3D printing. This thermoplastic 3D printing materials is offered in black or white with choices for pure or easy shiny finishes.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) – 3D printed with each SLS and MJF 3D printing, this materials consists of each thermoplastics and rubber, offering superior tensile power, elongation at break, glorious load-bearing capability, and resistance. TPU is offered in a regular end when 3D printed with SLS, and each grey and black with choices for pure or easy finishes with MJF know-how.
Full Shade Supplies
Shade has change into important for a lot of 3D printing tasks, from photorealistic architectural or medical fashions to vibrant tabletop gaming characters. Shade in 3D printing can also be useful for delineating elements like sensors in electronics. Whereas it’s attainable to dye Nylon 12 [Versatile Plastic] elements in 9 totally different colours, Shapeways additionally presents the next for 3D printing with shade:
Excessive Definition Full Shade – That includes shade choices in ten million hues, this 3D printing materials is advisable for tasks with necessities for actual shade matches. Previsualization of 3D printed fashions is less complicated, together with the flexibility so as to add wealthy element, shading, and distinction. Excessive Definition Full Shade is 3D printed through Materials Jetting. This know-how depends on eight tiny piezoelectric printheads to put resin droplets on the construct plate. Every layer is cured by UV mild till the construction is full, leading to distinctive, intricate elements. Elements can be found in normal and matte finishes.
Nylon 12 in Full Shade with Multi Jet Fusion – Nylon 12 Full Shade (MJF) permits for improved aesthetics, in addition to better power because of the capability to soak up thermal vitality so deeply. This 3D printing materials supplies excellence in mechanical properties, good dimensional stability, and resistance to grease, grease, and different chemical compounds. 3D printed with Multi Jet Fusion, Nylon 12 Full Shade elements can be found in pure and easy finishes.
Resin-Primarily based Additive Manufacturing Supplies
Shapeways presents a collection of acrylates identified for accuracy and precision in smaller elements, good floor end, and watertight properties. 3D printed with Stereolithography (SLA) for merchandise like advanced grasp patterns for molds, 3D printed fashions, and industrial elements, Shapeways presents the next Accura® SLA Supplies:
- Accura 60 is a translucent, acrylate-based plastic fitted to difficult practical assemblies that require transparency. Accessible in a semi-clear end, this additive manufacturing materials presents glorious readability and excessive rigidity.
- Accura Xtreme™ is a grey acrylate providing good affect resistance, and is advisable for 3D printing advanced, practical elements. This materials is offered in a regular end solely,
- Accura Xtreme™ 200 is a white acrylate, set aside by ultra-tough mechanical properties, and identified for resisting breakage. This materials is offered in a regular end solely.
Take pleasure in the advantages of this superior know-how and a variety of supplies from Shapeways for 3D printing your creations with accuracy, advanced element, and no minimal or limits when it comes to mass customization or single half orders. Shapeways has labored with over 1 million clients in 160 international locations to 3D print over 21 million elements! Examine case research, discover out extra about Shapeways additive manufacturing options, and get prompt quotes right here.