New York Governor Kathy Hochul as we speak introduced new shark-monitoring drones can be deployed to native seashore communities on Lengthy Island and New York Metropolis, constructing on the State’s earlier actions taken to deal with and improve beachgoers’ security at State seashores. Governor Hochul additionally introduced that the New York State Workplace of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the Division of Environmental Conservation have elevated surveillance over the waters in response to shark sightings over the Fourth of July vacation, following new shark security protocols established this 12 months.
“New York has a few of the most stunning seashores within the nation, and I’ve directed State personnel to do the whole lot attainable to maintain beachgoers secure this summer season,” Governor Hochul mentioned. “Forward of the busy summer season season, we developed new instruments and methods to observe marine wildlife and defend the well being and security of New Yorkers. These new drones will enhance the shark monitoring capability of native governments throughout Lengthy Island and New York Metropolis, guaranteeing native seashores are secure for all beachgoers.”
The brand new drones can be distributed to all downstate municipalities by the New York State Workplace of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (State Parks). It additionally offers funding to cowl the price of coaching native personnel to function the drones. As most of these municipalities do not need drone surveillance functionality, this funding will help localities and companies alongside your entire Lengthy Island shoreline and in New York Metropolis improve their shark monitoring efforts.
State Parks held a pre-season assembly this spring with beachfront municipalities and native companies to supply the most recent info on shark exercise in New York State and talk about coordinated beachfront notifications. As well as, the Division of Environmental Conservation (DEC) final week launched its Steering to Cut back the Threat of Adverse Interactions with Sharks.
When conditions come up of shark sightings and/or interactions with swimmers happen in State Parks seashores, swimming is suspended and all bathers are cleared from the water. Swimming is allowed to renew not less than one hour after the final sighting. State Park lifeguards, Park Police and park workers constantly scan and patrol the waters for shark exercise.
As well as, the Lengthy Island Coastal Consciousness Group, which is comprised of greater than 200 people from municipalities, companies, and personal seashore operators stretching from Queens by way of Lengthy Island, is notified so they could take acceptable motion of their respective jurisdictions.
New York State Parks Commissioner Erik Kulleseid mentioned, “State Park lifeguards, Park Police and park workers are on excessive alert at our Lengthy Island seashores to maintain guests secure. We are going to proceed utilizing the entire instruments at our disposal to be looking out for sharks and different harmful marine life.”
New York State Division of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Basil Seggos mentioned, “New York’s shores are dwelling to a wild and pure marine ecosystem that helps the annual migration of sharks to our coastal waters. Whereas human-shark interactions are uncommon, DEC encourages the general public to observe shark security steerage to assist decrease the danger of destructive interactions with sharks this summer season.”
New York State Police Performing Superintendent Steven Nigrelli mentioned, “Within the occasion of a sighting or emergency reminiscent of the kind of incidents that occurred over the 4th of July weekend, NYSP Aviation is able to present speedy response and help as wanted. Like our State Parks and legislation enforcement companions, the security of all New Yorkers is our first precedence, and we stand prepared to help them to make sure that beachgoers stay secure.”
In late Might, Governor Hochul introduced enhanced shark monitoring measures for Lengthy Island State Park seashores, which embody State Parks’ expanded surveillance capabilities:
- A further ten drones has greater than doubled the eight in operation from final 12 months. One new drone assigned to Park Police is a big enterprise mannequin with thermal imaging, laser vary discovering, and high-quality cameras to permit for night-time surveillance and patrols in hostile climate situations. This drone can even drop private flotation gadgets in emergency conditions
- Presently 21 workers together with Park Cops, State Park operational workers, lifeguards and licensed drone operators are skilled. A further 12 workers members had been skilled to be prepared for this summer season.
- State Parks Environmental Educators holding public outreach relating to shark habitats for individuals at Jones Seashore, Robert Moses and Sunken Meadow this summer season
- Two new Yamaha WaveRunners have been assigned to lifeguards to patrol each Jones Seashore and Robert Moses State Parks. These two private watercrafts will be part of one already in operation at Sunken Meadow State Park
- Further buffer zones had been created between swimming areas and surf fishing areas
- When sightings happen, New York State Police Aviation can be obtainable to reply as wanted
To reduce the danger of shark interactions, the Division of Environmental Conservation advises the next shark security steerage:
- Keep away from areas with seals
- Keep away from areas with faculties of fish, splashing fish, or diving seabirds
- Keep away from swimming at nightfall, night time and daybreak
- Keep away from murky water
- Swim, paddle, and surf in teams
- Keep near shore, the place your toes can contact the underside
- At all times observe the directions of lifeguards and Parks’ workers
People assume threat every time they enter any wild setting, whether or not on land or within the water. Though it’s not possible to eradicate threat altogether, ocean customers can modify their habits to attenuate potential interactions with sharks and scale back total threat. When within the ocean, observe DEC’s shark security tips to attenuate the potential for destructive interactions with sharks.